Dr Benjamin Carew is a general dermatologist with a special interest in the treatment of acne eczema, psoriasis, and cutaneous malignancy, as well as medical education and Tele-dermatology. He also provides a range of laser and cosmetic treatments.
Dr Carew initially trained and worked as a general practitioner in Central Queensland before completing his training as a dermatologist. He is a visiting dermatologist at the Mater Public Hospital where he supervises training dermatologists and junior doctors.
Dr Carew has worked as a medical educator at the University of Queensland, through the Rural Clinical School of Medicine, as well as with Queensland Rural Medical Education, and more recently with the Australian Skin Cancer Academy (ASCA). In his role with ASCA he has been involved in the development of the Practical Dermoscopy course for the Australasian College of Dermatologists.
Dr Carew is based in Stafford but visits North Lakes and Rockhampton.
- Board member Capricornia Division of General Practice
- Chair of steering committee for Capricornia Primary Health and Community Care. DoHA pilot site for electronic health record.
- Academic coordinator General Practice (Rural Clinical School of Medicine, Rockhampton Campus).
- Medical Educator (dermatology): Queensland Rural Medical Education (GP training provider).
- Facilitator at Healthcert / University of Queensland Primary Care Dermatology Course.
- Australian Skin Cancer Academy (ASCA): Founding director and senior medical educator.
- Moderator of the virtual skin cancer clinic for the Australasian College of Dermatologists Practical Dermatology course.
- VMO at the Mater Public Hospital, South Brisbane, Dermatology Department.
- Senior Lecturer University of Queensland
Dr Carew enjoys his time away from work with his three children, and partner Claire.